Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Hurtful Incident

Today while outside identifying trees for our Plant Study, I sprained my ankle. This is how it happened: First of all I was trying to reach a leaf on what we now have identified as a Silver Maple. So I put my right foot on the fence beside the tree, pushed off not catching the leaf and fell landing on my left ankle. OUCH!! (I had sprained my ankle) Did that hurt or what?! I got piggy back rides the rest of the Plant Study session. And so right now I am laying on the couch with my foot elevated, and Emily my older sister is writing this entry for me. (Hey, this is Emily, her nurse and servant for the evening, not so happy about the servant part, but I think I will survive). My dad studied athletic training in college so this is what he had to say about it all:
Here is an acronym for ya.
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation
So that is what I am doing right now. 20 minutes ice on, 20 minutes ice off, repeat that twice. Then you have 2 hours rest and then repeat it again.
Take Care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kate,

So sorry to hear about your sprain. I think you should somehow fit "ice cream" into the acronym. Hope it's feeling better soon. You and Clint will have to stick together with your injuries!

Take care,
Carmen